Varanasi is considered as a spiritual capital of India, which attracts devotees from all around the world. It is an epicentre for holymen who majorly reside in their dedicated ashrams or on the Ghats of Ganga river. “The Holymen of Varanasi” Photography Tour is designed to highlight the life style of holymen/sadhus and Life on Ghats. The complete series of portrait shoot will be exclusively designed for the participants to get the best possible shot. This tour is one of a kind as the main highlight of this workshop is working close with Aghori sadhus of Varanasi.
Special Note: There might be change in the schedule depending upon the weather conditions and the availability of holymen.
Photographing artistic portraits of sadhus (holymen)
Photographing real Aghori sadhus
Join This Tour?
If you want to build a strong portfolio of Varanasi and portraits of sadhus this tour is the right choice for you. We will also photograph real Aghori sadhus who are very rare to find. Even if you are a beginner you can join this tour as we have ‘Personal Pre Tour Support’ which clears all level of difficulties before we begin the tour.
An award-winning photographer and educator based in Mumbai, India. He specialises in off-camera flash portraits and astrophotography. Read more about Ashish on his website.
(Morning) 7am -10am | (Evening) 3pm - 6pm
- Meeting point will be decided once we finalise the tour as all babas are on different ghats.
- Everyday we will try to photograph 3-5 sadhus with good background. The number of sadhus depends upon the availability in the season as they are holymen/sadhus who are nomadic in nature.
- Ideal photography timings are morning and evening, in afternoon most of the holymen rest or are not on the ghats.
- All holymen are paid for their posing.
- All aghori sadhus which we arrange are real aghori who carry real human skull.
- The timings mentioned are tentative it can be more as per participant comfort.
Custom 1-1 Tour
USD $250(per day)
- Boat ride fare
- Photography mentorship and on field assistance fees, Tour guide Fees, Sadhus Fees
- Hotel Stay and food
- Travel from your location to Varanasi.
- Local Travel Fares
- Anything that is not mentioned in the Inclusion list.
TOOLS/GEAR REQUIRED BY PARTICIPANTS:
DSLR or Mirror less camera
Wide, standard, short telephoto lens.
THINGS TO CARRY:
Personal hygiene and care products, Medicine etc.
60% needs to paid to confirm the tour
40% needs to paid on the first day before the tour starts
75% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 45 days prior to the date of the tour.
50% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 30 days prior to the date of the tour.
25% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 20 days prior to the date of the tour.
NO refund if cancellation is made 15 days prior to the date of the tour.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Does one needs to be fit to join your tour?
We suggest you to follow basic exercise/waking routine at least one month prior to the tour date as it involves a lot of walking while carrying your gear.
Decent hotels near the ghats with all basic amenities. Luxurious hotels can be arranged at an additional cost, but they will be far from our main spots, so the participant has to manage to reach on time.
We offer Veg and Non-Veg food on our tour, but at times due to non availability of non veg food on some location we might serve only veg food.
It involves a lot of walking as we are going to cover life on ghats and lanes of Varanasi. So be prepared to walk for longer duration.
They are full of life just like normal humans. There is no reason for you to be scared of them.
Hindi, English and Marathi.
Personal Belongings and Responsibility
- Participant(s)/Guardians should understand the risks involved in any long journey activities before enrolling.
- In case of any injury, sickness, accident, death or any other casualty or loss or damage of valuables or luggage or any equipment; organisers, volunteers or experts or any other person involved wholly or partially, either individually or jointly with Ashish Kamble Photography and Tours shall not be responsible in any manner for the same and no claims of participants, parents, guardians, relatives or friends of participants will be entertained.
- Any expenses for all medical treatment and arrangements made by the organisers for the participants will be solely borne by the participant.
- During the Workshop, the decision of authorised representative of Ashish Kamble Photography and Tour shall be final and binding on all participants.
- Please be courteous to your mentor and other participants for smooth stress free Tour experience. Any discomfort please share with the organiser, we will try our level best to solve it in our capacity.
- The participant should make the payment only once he has gone through all terms and condition and is willing to abide by them.
Rules And Regulation:
- Smoking and moderate consumption of alcohol during leisure time is allowed during the tour. We request you not to smoke when all participants are shooting on field or are in a common meeting room.
- Possession of illegal drugs, weapons and other illegal substances is strictly prohibited during the tour. If found breaking this Rule, participant will be expelled from the Workshop/Tour and NO REFUND will be provided.